Here at the Georgia World Congress Center Authority we offer fulfilling and sensational careers on a campus which includes one of the world’s largest domed structures, the Georgia Dome; the fourth largest convention center in the United States, the Georgia World Congress Center; and the site of the 1996 Olympic Games, Centennial Olympic Park. Every year the GWCCA campus accommodates over one million visitors for sporting events, concerts, and conventions and entertainment events hosted in the heart of downtown Atlanta. Our mission is to promote and facilitate events and activities that generate economic benefits to the citizens of the State of Georgia and the City of Atlanta as well as enhance the quality of life for every Georgian.
The Georgia World Congress Center is currently seeking a Director of Public Safety to join our team. The Director of Public Safety will work closely with the Sr. Director of Logistics and Georgia Dome Events and the organization to help frame a future vision to ensure the Georgia World Congress Center Authority continues to sustain a safe and welcoming environment. The Director of Public Safety shall be responsible for the general administration work in planning, organizing and directing the campus activities of more than 150 employees assigned to the Police and Security department. Additionally, the Director of Public Safety shall be responsible for the development and implementation of operational policies and procedures designed to promote efficiency and quality of service to include, but not limited to: Security of the premises, directing law enforcement activities, event requirements, criminal investigations, technical training, interdepartmental cooperation and such other duties and functions as required by the Sr. Director of Logistics and Georgia Dome Events. The position reports to the Sr. Director of Logistics and Georgia Dome Events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with the Sr. Director of Logistics and Georgia Dome Events and the Senior Management team to collaboratively plan strategies and goals for public safety and operations to support shared organizational objectives. Regularly assess the success of Programs and amend strategies as necessary to ensure continued progress.
- Manage human, physical and economic resources for optimal benefit and impact. Work with the Sr. Director of Logistics and Georgia Dome Events to redesign the organization chart, plan budgets and monitor progress against financial goals.
- Promote and expand the use of technology to make the GWCCA campus safer and its customers and employees more comfortable and secure.
- Collaborate with the Logistics Department on management of vehicular and pedestrian traffic on and around campus.
- Conduct and/or attend various interdepartmental meetings as required to coordinate facility activities. Prepare periodic reports on the activities of the department.
- Maintain liaison with service contractors, event suppliers and other firms who frequently service events in the Georgia World Congress Center, Georgia Dome, and Centennial Olympic Park.
- Maintain communication and coordination channels with adjacent facilities, with Taxi Bureau, Fire Department, Police Bureau and other law enforcement agencies involved with event or building activity.
- Coordinate seamlessly with those of Atlanta Police Department, strategies to address quality of life issues such as homeless population, enforcement of code violations, noise issues and panhandling require creative approaches and coordination.
- Familiarization with current fire code regulations and monitor compliance accordingly.
- Revise, train and exercise the campus Emergency Operations Plan. Exercises to include role paying scenarios and table top exercises with staff and law enforcement partners. The Director of Public Safety will also coordinate at least one full scale exercise per year.
- Conduct building fire and safety inspections on a regular basis.
- The Director of Public Safety will serve as a senior public safety advisor to the Sr. Director of Logistics and Georgia Dome Events and the organization.
- The Director of Public Safety shall be knowledgeable in all administrative procedures established by the Georgia World Congress Center Authority.
- The Director of Public Safety shall be prepared to interact with other departmental personnel and shall be able to interface the police and security program with attitude of responsibility toward the image of the Georgia World Congress Center Authority.
- The Director of Public Safety shall be able to advise and counsel police and security personnel as required regarding administrative procedures, facility policies and operational procedures of the Georgia World Congress Center Authority.
- Compliance with the requirements for peace offers as set forth in the Georgia Peace Officers’ Standards and Training Act.
- Thorough knowledge of the Civil and Criminal codes of the state of Georgia and legal terminology and court procedures.
- Compliance with the requirements of the Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of police administration and their application.
- Such other duties, functions, special projects as assigned by the Sr. Director of Logistics and Georgia Dome Events.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES
- Ability to prioritize tasks & to manage workload using own initiative
- Possess strong relational and communication skills
- Ability to multi-task & work under pressure with limited resources
- High degree of integrity and compliance
- Thoroughness in task approach, follow-up & completion;
- Excellent computer skills
- Assess, weigh and manage risk in the face of uncertainty
- Research and interpret relevant information from a range of sources
- Use appropriate technology to find and process information, while continuously looking for innovative ways to enhance our performance
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Possess a valid Georgia vehicle operator’s license
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED) from an accredited school;
- Honorable discharge (if prior military); and
- Have no adverse driving record nor felony or family violence convictions
- Bachelor Degree or a Master’s Degree (preferred) from an accredited college or university; in Public Administration or a related field preferred.
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience at a managerial level for a comparable size law enforcement agency, preferred. When submitting application, applicants should identify the length of time spent in current/rank/grade.
- FBI National Academy Graduate preferred
- National Incident Management Systems 400 Training preferred
- Experience in dealing with the public under normal and abnormal conditions and in working under emergency conditions, (i.e., accidents, civil disturbances, bomb threats, etc.)
- Current P.O.S.T. Certification required.
- Law enforcement work can be very dangerous and stressful. Officers of the GWCCA are utilized in the life safety and protection systems provided to the patrons of the Authority. Officers frequently work weekends, holidays and nights. All positions are required to work in inclement weather conditions.
To learn more about our culture and campus, visit us at www.gwcca.org.